Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Review: Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews #AllHallowsWeek


Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
Series: Kate Daniels #10 (Final) 
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Age Group: Adult
Hardcover: 336 pgs
Source: Purchased
Published: August 2018
Add it // Buy it

Rating: 4.5/5

Kate has come a long way from her origins as a loner taking care of paranormal problems in post-Shift Atlanta. She's made friends and enemies. She's found love and started a family with Curran Lennart, the former Beast Lord. But her magic is too strong for the power players of the world to let her be.

Kate and her father, Roland, currently have an uneasy truce, but when he starts testing her defenses again, she knows that sooner or later, a confrontation is inevitable. The Witch Oracle has begun seeing visions of blood, fire, and human bones. And when a mysterious box is delivered to Kate's doorstep, a threat of war from the ancient enemy who nearly destroyed her family, she knows their time is up.

Kate Daniels sees no other choice but to combine forces with the unlikeliest of allies. She knows betrayal is inevitable. She knows she may not survive the coming battle. But she has to try.

For her child.

For Atlanta.

For the world.

The first time I read Magic Bites I had no idea this series would become one of my favorites and spark a search for Urban Fantasy with as intriguing characters. I have had conversations with my IRL friends about these characters and their motivations. It has been a book series that I’ve reread and enjoy each installment. I love it dearly and I was not ready for it to end. So, I put off reading the final book for a month.

In the end I was happy I didn’t keep putting it off. The series finale was very satisfying. I enjoyed the conclusion of the story. Most the characters we met throughout the series had a piece of the story and each one had an ending. I feel like Kate’s story was wrapped up nicely while we still have plenty of world to explore and other character stories to dive into. I’m hoping there will be more in this world eventually!

The conclusion was more than I anticipated and took the series in a different direction I was expecting. Even though Iron and Magic gave me hints as to who the ending would involve, I was surprised throughout the book by the solutions Kate and her crew came up with. Overall, the only part of the book I was unsatisfied with was the epilogue. It felt out of character for both of characters involved. I know they used the epilogue to keep the future open, but I wasn’t happy with it.

One of my favorite parts of this series has been Kate’s journey as a person. She is a completely different women from book one based on her experiences. She’s learned a lot and made a lot of difficult choices throughout the series. I am very happy with where her story arc ended. It was excellent. She and Curran are the best and their relationship has grown and changed over the series. 

I’m just gushing now and it’s time for me to end this review before I give too much away. I hope if you’ve read this series you enjoyed the conclusion as much as I did. I’d love to hear all your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment