Thursday, January 26, 2017

Review - Romancing the Inventor by Gail Carriger


Romancing the Inventor (Supernatural Society, #1)

Series: Supernatural Society #1
Genre: Science-Fiction
Age Group: New Adult
Source: Purchased
Published: November 2016
Paperback - 200 pgs
Add it // Buy it

Rating: 4/5 

Imogene Hale is a lowly parlourmaid with a soul-crushing secret. Seeking solace, she takes work at a local hive, only to fall desperately in love with the amazing lady inventor the vampires are keeping in the potting shed. Genevieve Lefoux is heartsick, lonely, and French. With culture, class, and the lady herself set against the match, can Imogene and her duster overcome all odds and win Genevieve's heart, or will the vampires suck both of them dry?

Delicate Sensibilities? This story contains women pleasing women and ladies who know what they want and pursue it, sometimes in exquisite detail.

After I enjoyed the Parasol Protectorate, I was anxious to read more Gail Carriger and I adored this novella.  While this short story does include a few characters to the PP series, you can easily enjoy this short romance without reading that series. If you have read the PP you will appreciate, as I did, how Carriger has an amazing ability to grow and develop her characters between series.

This lesbian romance was light and fluffy. I had a lot of fun reading it and enjoyed Imogene as a character very much. Though she wasn't as confident as some of Carriger's other lead characters, she was feisty and fought back as best she could in her situation. Genevieve Lefoux was one of my favorite characters in the Parasol Series and I was hoping for a happier ending for her in this short story than she had in the series.

Overall I wish a few of the transitions had been smoother and, of course, I wish it was longer!  I've said before this world incorporates all my favorite things and that hasn't changed. I'm anxiously awaiting more of these novellas! 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment