Friday, January 12, 2018

Review - Batman (DC Rebirth) Vols 1-4 by Tom King

Batman, Volume 1: I Am Gotham Batman, Volume 2: I Am Suicide Batman: Night of the Monster Men

Batman, Volume 3: I Am Bane Batman, Volume 4: The War of Jokes and Riddles


Series: Batman Vol III
Genre: Superhero Comics
Age Group: Adult
Source: Library 
Ebook -  ~200pgs per volume 
DC Comics (2017)

The Caped Crusader has never been stopped. Not by the Joker. Not by Two-Face. Not even by the entire Justice League. But now, in the wake of DC Universe: Rebirth, Batman must face his most challenging foe ever: a hero who wants to save Gotham...from the Batman! 


Ratings:
Vol. 1 - I am Gotham - 3/5 
Batman - Night of the Monster Men - 3/5
Vol. 2 - I am Suicide - 3/5
Vol. 3 - I am Bane - 4/5
Vol. 4 - War of Jokes and Riddle - 4.5/5

Normally I stay away from Batman comics. They tend to be a little too depressing for me. Batman isn’t my favorite comic hero either. This series was really interesting though and I really liked the arcs we followed through the four volumes I read. The over arching story is a little slow to start but each volume grew in my opinion.

Specifically the third and fourth volumes, I am Bane  and The War of Jokes and Riddles were well developed. Like I mentioned I don’t enjoy the really depressing Batman comics so I liked how these comics walked the line between tortured and soul-sucking. That might sound like a bad thing but I really liked where this story fell on that spectrum. Batman himself is tortured, but the story is exciting and interesting.

The art style wasn’t anything to write home about, but it wasn’t bad. I enjoyed these volumes overall (Especially volume four. That one stood out.) and I’ll continue to follow this series as it goes forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment