Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Review - The Sumage Solution by G.L. Carriger


The Sumage Solution (San Andreas Shifters, #1)
Series: San Andreas Shifters Series #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Age Group: Adult
Ebook - 314 pgs
Source: Overdrive
Published: 2017
Add it // Buy it

Rating: 4/5


Max fails at magic, relationships, and life. So he works as a sumage, cleaning up other mages’ messes. The job sucks and he’s in no mood to cope with redneck biker werewolves. Unfortunately, there’s something irresistible about the sexy muscled Beta visiting his office for processing.

Bryan is gay but he’s not out. There’s a good chance Max might be reason enough to leave the closet, if he can only get the man to go on a date.

Everyone knows werewolves hate mages, but Bryan is determined to prove everyone wrong, even the mage in question.

NYT bestseller Gail Carriger, writing as G. L. Carriger, presents an offbeat gay romance in which a sexy werewolf with a white knight complex meets a bad boy mage with an attitude problem. Sparks (and other things) fly.


This story contains M/M sexitimes and horrible puns. If you get offended easily, then you probably will. The San Andreas Shifter stories include blue language, dirty deeds, and outright admiration for the San Francisco Bay Area. Not for the faint of heart/mouth/tongue…

During the course of the past few years I have devoured a majority of Gail Carriger's books. Her blend of historical fiction, paranormal, and romance work very well for me and make the novels fly by. I love the characters and the witty banter that many of them have. She represents racial and gender diversity in the historical setting and overall I just adore her books. 
                   
Today though, I wanted to talk about her contemporary M/M adult romance.  I loved this book. It was finished in just one sitting. The story is fast paced, the plot is addictive, and the characters are fantastic. Even though it is different than Carriger's other books (obviously since it is an adult  contemporary romance) it has a lot of the elements about her other YA books that I love so much like funny snarky banter and loveable side characters.

My only problem with this book was the world building. I was very confused by the magic system Max was a part of. Overall, the focus was on the romance, but I needed more information about Max's magic. This was also a problem because understanding the magic is essential to understand the climax of the book. So I feel like I missed something at the end of this book.

While I had an issue understanding the magic, the romance was built up very nicely. The conflict between Max and Bryan felt real and a deeper issue. The problem needed to be addressed for both characters and it didn't feel like something that was made up for drama or to keep them apart. Their relationship didn't feel forced and their chemistry was great. I loved them and I could gush about them.

I'm hoping to reread this before the next book comes out. If that doesn't resolve my confusion, I really hope the second book will clear up the world building issues and give a more detailed explanation of the magic.  


No comments:

Post a Comment