Friday, February 15, 2019

Review: Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs


Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
Series: Mercy Thompson #7
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Age Group: Adult
Mass Market: 342 pgs
Source: Purchased
Published - March 2013 
Ace Books 

Rating: 4/5

TW: References to sex and rape.

Mercy Thompson's life has undergone a seismic change. Becoming the mate of Adam Hauptman - the charismatic Alpha of the local werewolf pack - has made her a stepmother to his daughter Jesse, a relationship that brings moments of blissful normalcy to Mercy's life. But on the edges of humanity, a minor mishap on an ordinary day can turn into so much more...


After an accident in bumper-to-bumper traffic, Mercy and Jesse can't reach Adam - or anyone else in the pack for that matter. They've all been abducted.

Through their mating bond, all Mercy knows is that Adam is angry and in pain. But she fears Adam's disappearance may be related to the political battle the werewolves have been fighting to gain acceptance from the public - and that he and the pack are in serious danger. Outmatched and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from any ally she can get, no matter how unlikely.


What I really liked about this book was our return to the Tri-Cities and seeing more of Mercy’s journey to find her place. Compared to the beginning of this series, Mercy has started a big transformation. She is still a trouble maker and she sticks her nose into dangerous situations, but she has allies and enemies galore.  Mercy has carved her own place out in Adam’s pack and his heart so now she has added a lot more responsibility.

I love how Mercy has found a family and watching her interact with all the friends and enemies within the pack is very entertaining. I also loved the introduction of Asil from the Alpha and Omega series. Asil is one of my favorite characters in this world and I love more page time with him. Mercy tackles her responsibilities head on in this novel when she needs to help rescue the pack after they are abducted. She calls in favors and asks for help throughout this book which shows how much she's grown and changed throughout the series.

While I enjoy the different plots in each installment I wish we were making more progress in the overarching plot. I'm not even sure what our overarching plot it at this point. In each book I feel like Briggs is trying work something out in the background as many questions about Mercy and her world are unanswered. I'd love if she would clarify that since we ARE seven books into this series.

Overall I wish this series stuck with me more. I tend to forget exactly what happened in each book. Maybe I should start a reread?


No comments:

Post a Comment