Monday, October 21, 2019

Why Practical Magic is the Perfect Halloween Movie (just perfect period)

There are very few movies I have watched more than a dozen times. Practical Magic easily beats out the Harry Potter and the Pirates of the Caribbean franchises for me. I simply loved this movie to bits then it got me through a tough fall where I was watching it almost every day. I have an ongoing love affair with this movie and if you didn't already know, it is simply perfect for Halloween. Here are some of the reasons I adore it.

First I want you to promise me you will not judge this movie based on its trailer because the trailer is awful.


Ok, now that we are all past that...let's get into some reasons I recommend this movie.

1) Mysterious Magic - For a good chunk of this movie magic is quite mysterious. Is is real? Is it just town gossip? This movie introduces its real magic slowly and lovingly. The girls perform little bits of magic when they are children, but the stronger stuff shows up later.


2) Sisterhood - The sisterhood in this movie is no just about biological sisters, but also about the sisterhood of women. As the Aunts' say, "There's a little witch in all of us." Even though the story centers on Gilly and Sally and the strength of their sisterly bond, we see there is strength in finding your coven too.


(Side note: This part makes me cry every single time)

3) Timeless- With limited special effects most of this movie is timeless. Other than the corded phone and the fashion, this movie stands the test of time fairly well. Maybe someone cast a spell on it?

3) Midnight Margaritas- Witches and booze. What more can I say?



4) Dark, but not too dark - In Practical Magic there are some dark parts. There are certainly some things I wouldn't suggest trying i.e. exchanging blood with others and trying to bring your dead abuser back to life. However there is a lot of humor and lightheartedness in this story as well. If you are looking for fun but adult Halloween, this is for you.


6) Sally Owens- I am a Sally Owens and I adore her so much. I love her big heart and identify with her desire to fit in. Sally Owens is a business owner, a single mom and a witch. I want to be her when I grow up.

7) This Quote:

 

...and the entire letter Sally writes containing it. 

Overall, this movie is great. It deals with a lot of tough topics like abuse, loss, and depression, but it also is humorous and full of hope. If you love this movie or watch it this season, let me know your favorite quote below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment