Sunday, August 25, 2019

Review - The Clockwork Detective by R.A. McCandless


The Clockwork Detective
Series: Unknown
Genre: Fantasy 
Age Group: Adult
Ebook - 317 pgs
Source: NetGalley
Published - May 7th 2019

Rating: 3/5

Diversity - This book includes LGBT+ representation and disability representation. 

Aubrey Hartmann left the Imperial battlefields with a pocketful of medals, a fearsome reputation, and a clockwork leg. 


The Imperium diverts her trip home to investigate the murder of a young druwyd in a strange town. She is ordered to not only find the killer but prevent a full-scale war with the dreaded Fae. 

Meanwhile, the arrival of a sinister secret policeman threatens to dig up Aubrey’s own secrets – ones that could ruin her career. 

It soon becomes clear that Aubrey has powerful enemies with plans to stop her before she gets started. Determined to solve the mystery, Aubrey must survive centaurs, thugs and a monster of pure destruction.

This was something I was absolutely sure I was going to love. It has all the pieces that sounded great. While I really enjoyed parts of this story I had a much harder time with this one than I was anticipating.

The first half of the book was slow with a lot of information about the world and the situation Constable Aubrey finds herself in. I especially enjoyed Aubrey as a character. She was intelligent and interesting. The city she finds herself in is also in an interesting position as it is growing very quickly and encountering new challenges every day. The second half of the book really picked up the pace and I was more interesting in picking it up after the half way point.

The writing itself was confusing. There is a lot going on in this world and I had  the sense we will see more in future books. However, the surface level introduction in this book was just confusing and limited. I liked this book enough that I would read more so I hope there is more explanation in the future.

Personally I love when books blend fantasy and science fiction so I did really enjoy the steampunk elements. I enjoyed the character interactions as well. Overall I wanted even more steampunk and fantasy elements incorporated into this story. I enjoyed the fae and other elements that were included, but I craved more.

Thank you to NetGalley for the copy of this book. All thoughts are my own.

My Last Review - Competence by Gail Carriger

No comments:

Post a Comment