Friday, March 23, 2018

Comic Mashup Review - Lumberjanes & Paper Girls






28953803




28204534
In the past year or so I've made an effort to read more comics. I've always been worried about starting in the wrong place with comics. Recently though I've talked to a friend who is a avid comic reader. They suggested to just pick a spot and go. So that's what I've done and they also suggested to try the DC Rebirth Series. So I've done that too. Because my reviews are often short for these, I've combined a few. Look out for more comic mashups soon! 

Lumberjanes Vol. 5: Band Together
by Noelle Stevenson, Shannon Watters, Carolyn Nowak (Illustrations), Grace Ellis, Brooke A. Allen (Illustrator)
Ebook Trade - 112pgs
Published: December 2016
BOOM! Box

Rating: 3.5/5 

Thus far this has been my least favorite of the Lumberjanes volumes. The plot line of this story didn't appeal to me as much. As always the core group of campers are funny and jump into the adventure. Though April's character development was really well done, this volume was less focused on the entire group of girls which wasn't as interesting to me. The artwork wasn't quite as good as the other volumes have been either. Overall this volume wasn't as good as what I've come to expect.
Even so, I will always recommend this series because it is fun, exciting, and full of adventure. 


Paper Girls Vol. 1
by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang (Illustrator), Matthew Wilson (Illustrator)
Ebook Trade - 144pgs
Published: April 2016
Image Comics
Add it // Buy it 

Rating: 4.5/5

After hearing this series described as Stranger Things meets Saga, I was intrigued and excited to check it out. I haven't found a better way to describe it either. I loved this. I was glued to each page of this graphic novel. The girls have a great dynamic and I am really excited to check out more volumes of this series. The art style is vibrant and it really pops. Though the storyline is a little confusing, I expect that was part of the point. The girls are confused and travel through time. They don't always understand exactly what is happening. At least I understood all the references from the 80's and today! Very fun and fast paced.

No comments:

Post a Comment