Friday, January 13, 2017

Review - Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews


Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
Series: Kate Daniels #7
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
Age Group: Adult
Source: Purchased
Published: July 2014
Mass Market - 381 pgs

Rating: 3/5

As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, she must now deal with the affairs of the pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel ancient being with god-like powers. Since Kate’s connection to Roland has come out into the open, no one is safe—especially those closest to Kate.

As Roland’s long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend the Conclave, a gathering of the leaders from the various supernatural factions in Atlanta. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered there, apparently at the hands of a shapeshifter, Kate is given only twenty-four hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she’ll find herself embroiled in a war which could destroy everything she holds dear…


Originally in my wrap up I rated this a 4/5 but honestly I need to drop a star. The more I think about this book the more issues I have with it. While the action and adventure is as exciting as ever and Kate is still badass, the were quite a few issues.

First of all Kate and Curran go back to normal after the entire debacle from the previous book. They agreed they have trust issues, but now everything it just fine? Seems a little too easy to me. While I want Kate to have someone she can rely on, I find this romance problematic even though I love them. I have a complicated relationship with their relationship. Also the first half of this book really dragged. I like the political problems Kate navigates while on a case, but the Pack problems are getting old and repetitive.

My second big problem was meeting Roland. We built Kate's Father up over six books so I shouldn't be surprised I was a bit disappointed. While I do appreciate he is more complex than just a big powerful bad guy Kate needs to defeat, he didn't wow me. I'm just not impressed with Roland so far? I understand he is powerful, we've been told a lot, but to me that just means if he and Kate really butt heads she will die. I don't want that to happen! Maybe I'm just confused because he didn't seem as terrible as Kate described him?

Overall this installment was good, but so much build up to the big bad guy just let me down. I am still excited to keep reading this series and I'll be moving onto the next book soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment