Friday, April 27, 2018

Comic Mash Up Review - Lumberjanes/Monstress







Lumberjanes, Vol. 8: Stone Cold 


Lumberjanes #33 


Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening (Monstress, #1)
In the past year or so I've made an effort to read more comics. I've always been worried about starting in the wrong place with comics. Recently though I've talked to a friend who is a avid comic reader. They suggested to just pick a spot and go. So that's what I've done and they also suggested to try the DC Rebirth Series. So I've done that too. Because my reviews are often short for these, I've combined a few. Look out for more comic mashups soon! 

Lumberjanes Vol. 8: Stone Cold
by Shannon Watters
Ebook Trade - 112pgs
Published: February 2018
BOOM! Box

Rating: 3.5/5 

Once again with this series I love the characters, but the plot is quite weak. We still have action, adventure, diversity, and magic involved so I'm still having fun. The characters continue to grow and we learn even more about them as the series goes along. I enjoyed the return of Greek mythology for this volume and how old enemies are reexamined.


Lumberjanes 33-36:
by Shannon Watters, Carey Pietsch (Illustrator)
Ebook Issues: 24-29pgs
Published: December 2016-March 2017
BOOM! Box

Rating: 4/5 

This series of issues (that will probably be volume nine eventually) is my favorite of the past few volumes. Though this one was a little sillier, I really enjoyed the competitiveness the girls displayed in this one. There was a feeling of being at camp in this arc which I've missed recently in this series.



Monstress Vol. 1: Awakening
by Marjorie M. Liu (Writer), Sana Takeda (Artist), Rus Wooton(Letterer, Designer), Jennifer M. Smith (Editor)
Ebook Trade - 192 pgs
Published: July 2016
Image Comics
Add it / Buy it

Rating: 4.5/5 

This first volume was incredibly beautiful and incredibly gruesome. The art is stunning and the full page spreads were difficult to move past. I could stare at them for a long time and sometimes the detail of the art distracted me from the story. I did find myself rereading parts of this complex fantasy. The panels were confusing at times not just because I was distracted, but overall the story was lush and beautiful. It is full of gods, humans, and supernatural beings that fight against one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment