Friday, April 20, 2018

Comic Mashup Review - Lumberjanes & Paper Girls







Lumberjanes, Vol. 7: A Bird's-Eye View





Paper Girls, Vol. 2 (Paper Girls, #2)
In the past year or so I've made an effort to read more comics. I've always been worried about starting in the wrong place with comics. Recently though I've talked to a friend who is a avid comic reader. They suggested to just pick a spot and go. So that's what I've done and they also suggested to try the DC Rebirth Series. So I've done that too. Because my reviews are often short for these, I've combined a few. Look out for more comic mashups soon! 

Lumberjanes Vol. 7: A Bird's-Eye View
by Shannon Watters, Kat Leyh,Grace Ellis (Creator), Carey Pietsch (Illustrations), Ayme Sotuyo (Illustrations), Maarta Laiho (With), Brooke Allen
Ebook Trade - 112pgs
Published: December 2017
BOOM! Box

Rating: 4/5 

Once again the campers plan on a non-magical day at camp, but magical creatures destroy those plans! I adore all the characters in this series as I've mentioned before and the group is more cohesive in this volume. I'm so glad the girls are working together again and I was glad we focused on the group rather than individuals. The magical kitten adventures were adorable. I loved all the kitten powers!

After two volumes that disappointed me, I really enjoyed this one and I continue to recommend it to everyone looking for fun female-positive comics.


Paper Girls Vol. 2
by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang (Illustrator), Matt Wilson (Colorist), Jared K. Fletcher (Letterer) 
Ebook Trade - 128 pgs
Published: November 2016
Image Comics

Rating: 4/5 

This volume really packed a punch. The girls travel forward in time and they face themselves and their futures. The concept is fascinating. I think the plot and time travel could have been explained more. Time travel is messy and confusing in general. Having minimal text to explain multiple plot lines in time travel could be disastrous. Instead this is fairly coherent and a mystery is mixed in so there is intentional confusion. Overall, I still really love the girls and how they are both scared and badass throughout the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment