Friday, May 18, 2018

Review - An Unnatural Vice by KJ Charles


An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
Series: Sins of the City #2
Genre: Historical M/M Romance
Age Group: Adult
Ebook - 250 pgs
Source: Overdrive
Published: 2017

Rating: 4/5

Crusading journalist Nathaniel Roy is determined to expose spiritualists who exploit the grief of bereaved and vulnerable people. First on his list is the so-called Seer of London, Justin Lazarus. Nathaniel expects him to be a cheap, heartless fraud. He doesn’t expect to meet a man with a sinful smile and the eyes of a fallen angel—or that a shameless swindler will spark his desires for the first time in years.

Justin feels no remorse for the lies he spins during his séances. His gullible clients simply bore him. Hostile, disbelieving, utterly irresistible Nathaniel is a fascinating challenge. And as their battle of wills and wits heats up, Justin finds he can’t stop thinking about the man who’s determined to ruin him.

But Justin and Nathaniel are linked by more than their fast-growing obsession with one another. They are both caught up in an aristocratic family’s secrets, and Justin holds information that could be lethal. As killers, fanatics, and fog close in, Nathaniel is the only man Justin can trust—and, perhaps, the only man he could love.

One of my absolute favorite tropes is the enemies to lovers trope and KJ Charles works magic between these two. Honestly, I wasn't sure Justin would win me over. He is a truly detestable character at the beginning and his profession is rather deplorable as well. Even so, I became so invested in these two characters and their relationship I had to cry towards the end. Justin and Nathianel affected me that much.

The characters are well developed and complex which I always appricaite. Each of these men is unqiue and has their own moral code. They are complete opposites and their voices are distinct. Even though this story is short, they both grow a lot and their histories are completely fleshed out. I really enjoyed their character arcs.

The mystery aspect of this story still didn't blow me away. Overall, it is just messy. There are a lot of moving parts and names. Though I tried to focus on the mystery elements, I was more interested in our characters, especially our lead characters, to really focus. I got lost easily and had to reread sections to grasp what happened when. I continued on because I was intrigued by the mystery even though I was confused, but I was sad to leave these two behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment