Friday, September 9, 2016

Review - My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows


My Lady Jane
Series: Standalone
Genre: Historical Fiction
Age Group - Young Adult
Published - June 2016
Hardcover - 491pgs

Rating - 5/5

Edward (long live the king) is the King of England. He’s also dying, which is inconvenient, as he’s only sixteen and he’d much rather be planning for his first kiss than considering who will inherit his crown…

Jane (reads too many books) is Edward’s cousin, and far more interested in books than romance. Unfortunately for Jane, Edward has arranged to marry her off to secure the line of succession. And there’s something a little odd about her intended…

Gifford (call him G) is a horse. That is, he’s an EĆ°ian (eth-y-un, for the uninitiated). Every day at dawn he becomes a noble chestnut steed—but then he wakes at dusk with a mouthful of hay. It’s all very undignified.

The plot thickens as Edward, Jane, and G are drawn into a dangerous conspiracy. With the fate of the kingdom at stake, our heroes will have to engage in some conspiring of their own. But can they pull off their plan before it’s off with their heads?


Quick Thoughts: Amusing, fun and clever. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a little British humor and can enjoy some historical inaccuracies. Please go check out this awesome story.

Full Review: 
This book was the whole reason I ordered Owl Create for the first time. I was convinced the book would be My Lady Jane and I was anxious to read it. Something about this book had piqued my interest from the moment I heard about it. Luckily I was right and this book arrived on my doorstep along with some other cool goodies!

The story is fun and engaging. While it doesn't hurt to have a good understanding of English history, the authors throw history out the window so it doesn't actually matter in the end. This hilarious retelling gave nods to a lot of great literature along the way and completely disregarded history. I should hate that. I have a BA in History after all, but I didn't. Somehow the authors were historically accurate while they disregarded the history books.

Throughout the book the humor reminded me a lot of The Princess Bride which made me love it even more. While not everything can be believed, the hilarity and absurdity of some of the plot lines made up for it. Overall it is a book that doesn't take itself too seriously even though we are talking about beheadings and political coups. I was caught up in the story and I couldn't put it down.

While this story felt complete, I am actually disappointed there won't be more adventures. I would love to continue following these characters to see what they could get up to in the future. (And what kind of history the authors could mess up next.) I absolutely adored this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment