Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Review - Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
Series: Kate Daniels #5.5
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
Age Group: Adult
Source: Purchased
Published: July 2012
Mass Market - 326 pgs

Rating - 4/5

After eviction from the Knights of Merciful Aid, Andrea is a wreck. She starts work for best pal PI Kate Daniels. Shapeshifters under Raphael Medrano — Clan Bouda male alpha, Andrea’s ex-lover — die suddenly at a dig site. With Raphael, she seeks killer in deep dark Atlanta. Her feelings for him may take a back seat to saving the world…


There is something that always appeals to me about reading a series from another point of view. This story especially appealed since Andrea is one of my favorite character in the Kate Daniels Series.  When I started Magic Rises, something was missing. I knew there had to be a short story that would fill in the gaps so I quickly checked Goodreads, found out about this entire book, and visited Barnes and Noble to pick this up.

Basically, Andrea has become an investigator alongside Kate and we follow her as she tackles a new case. She goes at it at a different angle than Kate would which was a nice change of pace for me in the middle of this series. While I adore Kate, I like Andrea's police/military training and how she approached this situation.  Andrews had established Andrea as a strong character before, but I loved having a whole book to see her in action. It was also very interesting to get her story from her own point of view. Her backstory isn't something that would be easy to share so getting it in her own words seemed right.

We get even more background, characters and monsters in this story. I loved it. It's a fantastic add on to this series. The romantic elements are important to the series and help explain a few things in the next books. However, it doesn't dominate the story. There are plenty of other threads in this story. It's obviously the authors don't enjoy writing the sexy scenes, but I've known that for several books. I didn't expect it to change in this one.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, but I am anxious to get back to Kate and Curran.

No comments:

Post a Comment