Monday, February 19, 2018

8th Annual End of Year Book Survey (Created by Jamie @ Perpetual Page Turner)

Welcome to Jamie's amazing end of the year survey which I am finally posting in mid-February. Whoopie! Check out her original questions here and please forgive me for taking so long to do this. 
This is late. I know its late! Wahhhh I was lazy and took a long time to fill everything out. 


Reading Stats!

Number Of Books You Read: 144
Number of Re-Reads: 4 (that’s it?)
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy

Best in Books!

1. Best Book You Read In 2017? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2017 release vs. backlist)

Middle Grade: The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
Young Adult: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
Adult: Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Captive Prince Trilogy by C.S. Pacat. – Surprised me with its graphic content at first then it surprised me with the amazing character development. Both good and bad!

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Most likely The Girl Who Drank the Moon. I talked about this book constantly. I don’t know if anyone picked it up because of me though.

5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Best Series Started:Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs
Best Sequel: Virals by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs
Best Series Finished:The Finishing School Series by Gail Carriger

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Patricia Briggs
KJ Charles

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? 
Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (Poetry) 

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? 
The Will of the Empress by Tamora Pierce (I could NOT stop listening to this audiobook. I found every opportunity to listen to it even when I was at work!)



9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Traitor’s Blade by Sebastian de Castel (I’ve forgotten everything about this book already and I would like to continue on with this series)

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?


11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Inej Ghafa from Crooked Kingdom

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?

Longest: Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (818 pgs)

Shortest: The Smuggler and the Warlord by KJ Charles (3pgs)


How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this year that was the shortest and longest.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)The Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat - This book has a lot of trigger warning and I was not prepared going in. It was shocking and difficult to read at times.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Soap and Sophronia (The Finish School Series) 
Jesper and Wylan (Six of Crows)
Percy and Monty (Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue)
Lord Richard Vane and David Cyprian (Society of Gentlemen)

I mean...who can actually choose one? 

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Inej and Nina from Six of Crows

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer

21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman - I felt the pressure to try this one but it did appeal to me.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Adam Hauptman (Mercy Thompson Series)

23. Best 2017 debut you read?
Oops

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman - The flavor and atmosphere of this book blew me out of the water.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews (Loved seeing Julie and Derek go on their own adventure)

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
Fruits Basket Volume 12

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Alone with Mr. Darcy by Abigail Reynolds

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
A Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
Buffering by Hannah Hart

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski - It tried to do a lot and I think only pulled off about half of it.

Your Blogging/Bookish Life

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
Uhhhh I'll work on this in the coming year. I've discovered some great booktubers but I always fail at finding great book blogs because I fail to look or bookmark.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
I dunno....This one?

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Realized somethings about myself and wrote: Why My TBR Goal was Unrealistic.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
None this year! Maybe in 2018.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
Gail Carriger included my Three Reasons to Read The Parasol Protectorate Series video in her Soulless 10th anniversary newsletter. I actually cried.

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Making time to write posts and feeling like doing it when my mental and physical health wasn't the best.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Review of The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Strutskie

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I with the blog had gotten more love from me this year.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Bookish Candle Shops. I have discovered so many and they are so innovative.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I have a whole video on this. Specifically I read over 100 book which is always the goal.

Looking Ahead


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer (Companion to Letters to the Lost)

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Write more posts than I did last year! And maybe more posts than I did in 2016?

6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
Bahaha. Not yet I'm working on it.

The last time I did this survey was in 2015. If you want a good chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment