Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review - Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth



 Four: A Divergent Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4)

Genre: Sci-Fi/ Dystopian 
Hardcover - 285 pgs
Source: Purchased
Published by Katherine Tegen Books 
Add It // Buy It
Rating: 4.5/5 

Two years before Beatrice Prior made her choice, the sixteen-year-old son of abnegation's faction leader did the same. Tobias's transfer to Dauntless is a chance to begin again. Here, he will not be called the name his parents gave him. Here, he will not let fear turn him into a cowering child. 

Newly christened "Four," he discovers during initiation that he will succeed in Dauntless. Initiation is only the beginning, though; Four must claim his place in the Dauntless hierarchy. His decisions will affect future initiates as well as uncover secrets that could threaten his own future--and the future of the entire faction system. 

Two years later, Four is poised to take action, but the course is still unclear. The first new initiate who jumps into the net might change all that. With her, the way to righting their world might become clear. With her, it might become possible to be Tobias once again. 

The four pieces included here--"The Transfer," "The Initiate," "The Son," and "The Traitor"--plus three additional exclusive scenes, give readers an electrifying glimpse in to the history and heart of Tobias, and set the stage for the epic saga of the Divergent trilogy.

Do you know what I forgot? Veronica Roth's writing sucks me in! When this book came in the mail , I could not forget about it. Normally books don't bother me until I pick them up. This one did. I couldn't forget about how much I wanted to read it. Her writing is fast paced and fun. This made me forget my bitterness and anger about this series and once again put me in the thrilling and amazing Divergent world.

Four's story was even more addictive than the original Divergent series to me. These short stories are fast paced and really got me inside Four's head. He is thoughtful and I loved seeing him grow and change as he switched factions and found his place in Dauntless. This gave an even more complete picture of the world and characters.

There are so many sides to Four and it is interesting to see him make his way and discover some of the problems within his society. Lots of hints about the future and you can see the foreshadowing for the Divergent trilogy. I loved it, there were parts that dragged for me, but seeing things through Four's eyes was fantastic. I highly recommend it especially if you loved Divergent.

Individual Story Ratings:
The Transfer: 4/5
The Initiate: 5/5
The Son: 4/5
The Traitor: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment