Friday, August 5, 2016

Review - Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta


Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
Series: The Lumatere Chronicles #2
Genre: High Fantasy
Age Group - Young Adult? (Mature Themes)
Published - March 2012
Source - Purchased
Hardcover - 593 pgs

Rating 5/5

Description:
Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home ... or so he believes. Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been taken roughly and lovingly in hand by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper with a warrior's discipline. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds in its surreal royal court. Soon he must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad princess in this barren and mysterious place. It is in Charyn that he will discover there is a song sleeping in his blood ... and though Froi would rather not, the time has come to listen. 


Quick Thoughts: While I was at the beach, I had the perfect opportunity to read this massive books in just a couple of days. It was impossible to put down and I am very sad I didn't bring book three with me because I'm ready for it! This series continues to surprise me and make regret I haven't read it sooner.

Full Review:
Honestly, once I knew who Froi was I wasn't sure I would love this novel as much as Finnikin of the Rock, even though many people have told me this one is even better. Froi wasn't my favorite character in book one and I wasn't sure where the plot was going either. However, I was anxious to read more of Marchetta's writing and I adored the other characters from book one. So I jumped into this one hoping for the best.

I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I am really impressed. The story starts up three years after the end of book one and we get a glimpse into the lives of our characters after they have matured and grown into their new roles. This set up and the introduction of Cheryn's problems and Froi remind me of The Old Kingdom Series by Garth Nix which is one of my favorite series. I can see this series sitting alongside that one on my favorites shelf.

The new characters we meet are fascinating and so well developed. They made my heart hurt with all the emotions I feel during this book. There is so much joy and so much sadness that it is hard to feel it all completely until you are finished and look back. The brokenness of the characters never seems to stop and it feels like they could never recover from what they've been through.

Like I mentioned in book one, Marchetta has a way of building up the story so the world building doesn't get dumped on you. Instead it feels like a puzzle where I have the outside edges complete and she hands me the right piece at the right time to fill in the gaps. It's beautifully written.

As soon as I get home from vacation, I will be picking up book three. Though, I am sad this series will be over so quickly. I cannot wait to see what happens and I want to jump back into the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment