Friday, February 8, 2013

Review: A Monster Calls

by Patrick Ness 

Description: The monster showed up after midnight. As they do. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor. It wants the truth.


Review: 

I loved this book. I read it in an afternoon. It is a simple story but emotional and touching. It is gorgeous, the illustrations and design on the book are fantastic, and beautifully written. The monster is an amazing character and its voice is incredible. It is an intense story with a lot of emotions that hit you throughout the book. I cannot praise this book enough. I loved the reading experience and the illustrations make it unique. 

Going into this book I knew that there was a certain predictability to it. Even so, this plot is fabulous. I think it resonates so well with the audience because it is easy to relate to the pain Conor is going through whether you are a child or an adult. The story is tragic but beautiful and I think anyone could read it and enjoy it. 


Who Did I Hear about this from?

Kayley Reads: https://www.youtube.com/user/kayleyreads/featured
Books and Quills: https://www.youtube.com/user/booksandquills

No comments:

Post a Comment