Wednesday, October 26, 2016

#AllHallowsWeek Review - Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews

Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
Series: Kate Daniels #5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Age Group: Adult
Source: Purchased.
Paperback - 308 pgs
Published: June 2008

Rating - 4/5

Kate Daniels may have quit the Order of Merciful Aid, but she’s still knee-deep in paranormal problems. Or she would be if she could get someone to hire her. Starting her own business has been more challenging than she thought it would be—now that the Order is disparaging her good name. Plus, many potential clients are afraid of getting on the bad side of the Beast Lord, who just happens to be Kate’s mate. 


So when Atlanta’s premier Master of the Dead calls to ask for help with a vampire on the loose, Kate leaps at the chance of some paying work. But it turns out that this is not an isolated incident. Kate needs to get to the bottom of it—and fast, or the city and everyone dear to her might pay the ultimate price…

When I'm reading a series, I typically write a review for each installment before starting the next book so I keep all my facts straight. The Kate Daniels Series isn't the typical series and I've been tearing through the books. Sadly this mean I have read another book in this series from a different point of view since finishing this one and I am having trouble remembering the finer points of this story.

While you hear it all the time, it holds true for this series. The books continue to get better with each installment. You could really see improvement starting in book three, Magic Strikes, and each book gets better. This book exemplifies how much Kate has grown, changed, and learned in the first four books. The ratio of sword battles and poltical battles has balanced out quite nicely in these last few books. I love both. I also love the new characters we've acquired in recent books. Each addition makes the story more diverse and interesting.

Kate continues to kick ass and take names now that she is the Beast Lord's mate. She and Curran have a nice balanced relationship and I think their communication skills reflect having a husband and wife duo writing this series. However, there were times when I wanted to strangle the two of them for being so stubborn.

I do want to mention I think the synopsis available for this book is awful. There is a lot more going on than Kate helping Ghastek with a vampire problem. It is an insult to the book that it is boiled down to that. Describing the first scene of the book and describing the plot is not the same thing.

As I say at the end of each review of this series, I can't wait for the next book!



No comments:

Post a Comment