Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Favorite Childhood Books

A few months ago I wrote a post about the books I missed out on in childhood. I only named ten but when people talk about those books I feel like I really missed out. However, I had my own collection of favorite reads as a kid. Some of them are almost unheard of and other were popular but these were the books that made up my childhood and have a very special place in my heart.

Young Reading:

Sometime in the future I'll cover my middle school and high school favorites, but right now I will focus on the books I read as a young child. These were mostly elementary school I believe? In my mind I'm pretty darn young when I devoured them. 

Animal Ark by Lucy Daniels- As you will soon know well, I loved animals as a child. It made up a lot of my reading and I especially loved the adventures in this series of books. I still have my copies high on my shelf. While my sister read The Treehouse Adventure books, I read Animal Ark. I still remember my shock and disbelief when I heard several authors had penned this series. I felt betrayed to say the least.

Pony on the Porch (Animal Ark, #2) Puppies in the Pantry (Animal Ark, #3) Dolphin in the Deep (Animal Ark, #22) Fox in the Frost (Animal Ark: Holiday Special, #3)

Heartland Series by Lauren Brooke - This was my favorite series as a kid. One year for Christmas I received the second half of the series and could not stop reading them. I followed Amy and her friends work with horses that I wanted to own so badly. It definitely helped ease the pain that I never owned a horse as a kid. Now there is even a Canadian TV show about this series and I adore it. Heartland is still a big favorite of mine.

Coming Home (Heartland, #1) Come What May (Heartland, #5) True Enough (Heartland, #11)

The Land/Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor - These books came into my life a LONG time ago. I remember them as amazing stories and one of the first series I had to hunt down to read. We read Roll of Thunder in class, but I found other books in this series outside of class to read on my own. As of now I don't remember much about the book or the characters, but my love of them has stayed with me.

The Land Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Logans, #4)

The Year of the Hangman by Gary L. Blackwood - My copy of this story is battered to pieces. I read it many times and carried it around as my favorite book for a while too. Between this and Roll of Thunder I think I know where my love of history sprouted from.

The Year of the Hangman

The Black Stallion by Walter Farley - I mentioned before I loved animals? It was mostly horses that I loved so dearly. This series is a classic! The movies are a lot of fun and I loved how many variations there were. I still have my copies too.

 The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9) The Black Stallion Challenged (The Black Stallion, #16)

Like I mentioned I'll cover more of my higher reading level books in a separate post. These were just some of my favorites from when I was a child.

What are some of your favorites? Do you ever consider rereading them? I've thought about it but worry nothing could live up to my memories.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment