Friday, October 7, 2016

Review - Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews


Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)

Series: Kate Daniels #3 (Book 1 Review)
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Age Group - Adult 
Source- Purchased
Published - March 2009
Paperback - 310 pgs

Rating 4.5/5

Drafted to work for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems these days than she knows what to do with. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that’s saying a lot.

But when Kate’s werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games—an invitation-only, no-holds-barred, ultimate preternatural fighting tournament—she and Curran, the Lord of the Beasts, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta’s shapeshifting community


As this series grows, the authors incorporate more and more mythology which I find fascinating and fantastic. I love how each book incorporates different villains from different mythologies and how many overlap and intertwine. The concept of magical battle cage matches is extremely brutal. If you didn't know what kind of urban fantasy world Kate is living in before now, you will have no doubt by the end of this book.

There are even more pieces of the puzzle laid out during this novel about Kate's life before the series started. So I still have a lot of questions, but the action packed installments also resolve on their own. There is plenty to keep me interested while I wait for more pieces to fall into place. In the mean time Magic Strikes absolutely ripped my heart out. What hurts Kate hurts me and it hurt even more to know one of my favorite characters was attacked in this book as you see in the description. The action takes place in the battle arena and outside of it.

On a lighter note the sexual tension in this book is as thick as pea soup and I was dying to get to the next book when I finished this one.  Curran has won me over (many times over) so we will see if he also wins over Kate. My fingers are crossed.

I love this series. It is one of the most engaging and thrilling series I've ever read and I will be very sad when I run out of books.

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment