Monday, March 27, 2017

End of Winter Favorites

Recently (i.e. the last six months) I haven't been doing many favorites posts or videos. I did make a Top Five Non-Bookish Favorites video for the recent Top Five Wednesday topic. However, I didn't cover all my normal topics and I still have a few new things I want to cover. I love a lot of things!

Book Favorite

 The Girl Who Drank the Moon

So far in 2017 I can say with confidence my favorite book has been The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill. This delightful middle-grade novel has stolen my heart after it took me by surprise in January. Obviously I've been pushing it on my friends ever since then and trying to get as many people as possible to read it. Check out my review! 

Description:
Every year, the people of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering to the witch who lives in the forest. They hope this sacrifice will keep her from terrorizing their town. But the witch in the forest, Xan, is kind and gentle. She shares her home with a wise Swamp Monster named Glerk and a Perfectly Tiny Dragon, Fyrian. Xan rescues the abandoned children and deliver them to welcoming families on the other side of the forest, nourishing the babies with starlight on the journey.

One year, Xan accidentally feeds a baby moonlight instead of starlight, filling the ordinary child with extraordinary magic. Xan decides she must raise this enmagicked girl, whom she calls Luna, as her own. To keep young Luna safe from her own unwieldy power, Xan locks her magic deep inside her. When Luna approaches her thirteenth birthday, her magic begins to emerge on schedule--but Xan is far away. Meanwhile, a young man from the Protectorate is determined to free his people by killing the witch. Soon, it is up to Luna to protect those who have protected her--even if it means the end of the loving, safe world she’s always known. 


Blog/Video Favorite
These last few months have been a bit slower on the blog front, but I like it this way. My brain isn't as scattered. I do a better job reading and writing about what I read. Anyway I do have a favorite post and video I've made recently. The first is my Valentine's Day post about my Top Ten Tuesday post on my Top Ten Couples/Ships. I really enjoyed writing this post and seeing the comments about those couples.

This month I've embarked on a mission to do a bookshelf tour of my TBR Bookshelf. I'm also hoping to do my regular bookshelf at some point. However, I've only posted one of the three videos so far. I am working on getting the other two posted A.S.A.P.




Image result for grace helbig not too deepRelated image

Random Favorite - Podcasts! 

 Throughout March I've barely read any books, but I have listened to a lot of podcasts. There are two I've been listening to the most. Stuff You Missed in History is a fascinating podcast about lesser know events and people in history. Not Too Deep with Grace Helbig is hilarious though I do pick and choose which guests I listen to.


Music Favorites-
Well music is a tricky subject for me right now. I've finally fallen off the Hamilton train, at least in terms of constant listening, and haven't found something to replace it yet. Even so, I've rediscovered a band I haven't listened to for a few years. I've been listening to Panic at the Disco! for the past couple of months during my workouts. The pace is just right to motivate me and their songs really keep me moving. Plus I can never quite hit the right key when I sing them so they are good for working out when I'm too out of breath to try!

This is all to say: Give me your music suggestions!  

Movie Favorite-
In the first few months of 2017 I've seen quite a few movies (at least for me). My favorite thus far was Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It made me laugh so much and I sincerely enjoyed being back in the Wizarding World. It was very interesting to see how magic was weaved into 1920's America as well.

 
Youtube/Youtuber Favorite

WhatImDoingRightNow- Michael Aranda is a daily(ish) vlogger. He makes high quality vlogs about his life in Montana. While he is quite behind, it has become more a of running joke among the viewers rather than a serious concern. I would argue the vlogs are worth the wait because of Michael's innovative style and high quality work.



TV Favorite

Bones- An oldie but a goodie. My all-time favorite show is Bones. I adore this series and all the characters. There are only two (possibly one when this goes live) episodes left though! The series is ending in just a couple of weeks. I've been watching the last few seasons over to savor the end and I'm hoping to catch the series finale live. 


Charmed - Another oldie! I jumped into this series on Netflix because I remembered watching it as a teenager. It was just as awesome as I remember and I'm in the middle of season five right now. I think the show is in its height right now. 


Image result for bones season 12 Image result for charmed

Video Game Favorite-
What do you do when you have a book blog, but you aren't in the reading mood? You play video games. At least, that's what I do. The first few months of 2017 have been a steady mix of video games and books, but video games have tipped the balance here in the past few weeks. So I finished The Last of Us which completely blew my mind. That was a great game, but right now my favorite game is Infamous 2. I can't get enough of this game right now and I've already prepared for the end of this game by purchasing the next games for PS4. I'm dying to get to those too.
 
Image result for infamous 2
 
So those are a few of my favorite things at the moment. I've been all over the place with my interests and what I do in my free time. I am anxious for spring and warmer weather so my next favorites post will be less media focused next time. I want to get outside! I miss the sunshine. 

Let me know what you've been loving and what you think of any of these things. If you have any suggestions based on these favorites, I'd love to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment