Friday, September 27, 2013

Series Review - Hex Hall

by Rachel Hawkins


  5287473  8428064
 11454587 

Book One Published: March 2010
Total Series Pages: 1009
Series: Hex Hall 1-3 (Series Complete) 

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect. As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


This series is simply addictive. Once I started I could not stop! I finished this series in a week simply because they were fun engaging reads that pulled me in. I borrowed Hex Hall from my local library then had to steal Demon Glass and Spell Bound from my friend who had check them out rather than read the other books I had picked.

Sophie is such a great character. I loved her sass and her quick wit really keeps the dialogue moving. I think what I love most about her is even though she's thrown into a world she doesn't understand, she doesn't take anyone's crap. She fires right back at people who attack her and she's very loyal to her friends and family. I just love her! One of my biggest pet peeves in books is main characters who whine. Sophie kicks butt and doesn't complain about her problems. She takes her situation in hand and keeps moving.

This is not the most complex plot line in the book world and it isn't the most original. The story isn't overly complex, but it kept me engaged and interested. I didn't start reading this expecting more so I was perfectly satisfied with this story. So even though I'm gushing about how much I love it, have that in the back of your mind. I think that is what I liked most about it though.  Of course, I found things I didn't like or had problems with, but I didn't care. I just kept reading. It was a fast, fun read that was easy and mindless. There were things I could predict, but other twists I didn't expect.

Demon Glass was my favorite book in the series I think. I loved seeing Sophie's relationship develop with dad in that book. Plus I think it is the most mysterious and has the best plot twists. I want Jenna as a best friend and I'll date Archer if Sophie isn't interested.Sophie's love interests are fun and amusing. I always wanted magical powers and I'll take them even if I have to go to Hex Hall. Because even with all its faults, I thought it seemed homey like a run down mini Hogwarts in the middle of a tiny island.

This is the first series I've read in rapid sequence for a while and I've missed being so engaged and immersed in a book. I had a lot of fun reading this book. Overall, this series isn't my favorite that I've read this year, but it is one of the ones I've enjoyed the most. I would highly recommend these if you enjoy easy reads and chick-lit stories.

Rating: 4/5 

All books individually rated 4/5.




No comments:

Post a Comment