Friday, November 13, 2015

Mini Reviews (2)

This week I'm going to do some mini-reviews! These are books I feel like I don't have enough to say to write a full review. However, I do like to put my thoughts out there for all the books I read. Just because I have a short review for these doesn't mean I don't recommend them! Some of these were really great!
 
Only Mr. Darcy Will Do
Only Mr Darcy Will Do by Kara Louise  

Synopsis: Mr. Bennett died before Mr. Darcy had the chance to renew his addresses. Elizabeth believes she will never see him again when she becomes a governess for a wealthy family. What happens when their paths cross again? 

My Thoughts: Overall I don't have a lot to say about this one. It was a lovely adaptation with very few issues. The adaptation was straight-forward and an easy read which has now mostly left my brain. The characters' personalities were well represented and the author set up a great romance between Darcy and Elizabeth. I thought some of the dialogue seemed too modern, but overall everything worked and I highly recommend this adaptation. 

Spirit (Elemental, #3)Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer (Elementals Series Bk 3) 

Synopsis: In this third installment we follow Hunter who must choose a side in the battle that is simmering between the Guides and the Merrick brothers. When he seems to have enemies on all sides, where will he turn? 

My Thoughts: First of all I don't want my short review to make you think this series isn't worth checking out. It totally is. I've enjoyed all of these books so far and I continue to be addicted to it. To me, this book had more second-book-syndrome than book two. We find out a lot about the larger picture and it feels like we are starting to flesh out who the real enemy is in this installment. Like the other boys in this series, Hunter makes a lot of dumb mistakes before he starts making good ones and he faces serious consequences. I like how Kemmerer makes all the characters distinct in each book and continues to focus on the family relationships as much as the romantic ones. 

 Pride and Prejudice: The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote

Pride and Prejudice: Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote by Various

Synopsis: In this collection of stories we see the scenes between chapters Jane Austen wrote. We explore other characters and see what happened between the scenes of Pride and Prejudice and beyond. 

My Thoughts: I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. Mostly I’m frustrated. This collection of stories seemed like a great idea and many of the authors involved are ones I’ve read and enjoyed before. However there are major issues in this collection! There is a lot of overlap between stories and several points are repeated in different chapters. Also some of the scenes are out of order which could have been easily fixed before publication. If you enjoy Jane Austen adaptations, you will probably enjoy this collection, but be aware there are some issues.


Northern Ireland and England: The Troubles by Robert C. Cottrell

My Thoughts: When I was in college, I wrote my senior paper on the sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland. I haven’t read much about the topic since then and the details were a little muddy in my mind. I have a few books about this topic and wanted to refresh my memory with this book which I thought would be a good overview and concise reminder of the complicated conflict.
It didn’t really work out.
This book was supposed to be an overview of the conflict in N. Ireland but I ended up more confused than when I began.  The author touches on so many parts of England/Ireland history which is interesting but doesn't stay true to the title. There is really only one chapter on the The Troubles and glosses over the many factions involves. Too many names and acronyms to keep straight for such a short book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment