Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Ignite Me - Review (Shatter Me Series)

by Tahereh Mafi 



Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)    Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)Ignite Me (Shatter Me #3)


 Genre: Romance/Paranormal with a hint of Dystopian 
 Published: Shatter Me (2011) Unravel Me (2013) Ignite Me (2014) 
 Series Total Pages: 1217 

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior



I have a hard time reading books in a series in rapid succession. Usually I end up waiting weeks or months to read the next novel even though it may be currently sitting on my self. Knowing that, you would be surprised to find that I finished this series in a month and these three books were four of the last books I read. I was completely shocked by this series because I was totally unprepared for the fervor I have developed for this series.

It is absolutely impossible for me to talk about Ignite Me without spoiling something from the first two books. Therefore, I'll be giving an overall recommendation for this series. GO READ IT NOW! In this post I want to give my overall impressions of the series and gush about how much I loved it.

Throughout this series it becomes obvious this story is all about Juliette. Even though the world is falling apart and other characters are involved, everything is about Juliette's growth and change. I went into Shatter Me expecting a dystopian story like Divergent or Hunger Games where the world building reveal the problems in society and the corrupt government. If you are looking for that story, this might not be your book. Without that element I was thrown off a bit. I was in the middle of Shatter Me before I even realized what the genre/style/focal point of the story was. 

Honestly, I'm so glad that it wasn't the typical dystopian. I've begun to tire of the typical dystopian story line. While there are dystopian like parts of this book, the problems of society are just not the focal point in this series. I think Mafi makes this such a unique series because it is less about saving/changing the world than it is about Juliette.

The writing style is another unique aspect of this book. Before I started reading, I heard from many people that the writing style could make or break the book for people. Personally, I had a love/hate relationship with the style in this book. At times I really liked the beautiful description and fitting dramatics that came from such interesting writing and the cross outs were especially interesting, but other times I was frustrated because the writing slowed down the plot to me. This was particularly evident in the first two books. Overall though the writing style makes the books memorable and it didn't distract me too much considering I devoured each one of these books. (I read the majority of each book in under a day)

One random thought. Did anyone else feel like Uriah and Kenji were like brothers? I'm not sure if anyone else got this vibe, but it was so strong for me.

I wasn't completely sold on the series by the end of book one, but if you even remotely liked Shatter Me it only gets better from there, and I think this series is completely worth the time. Even though I have some problems with different elements of the book, like that the world isn't fully explained or developed, I could not put the books down. I found Juliette to be frustrating, but likable character. Her character development through the series is simply phenomenal and fun to read. The romances (love triangle warning) kept me guessing and conflicted through most of the story which is fun.

I think it would have been interesting to see what happened after Ignite Me. It would have been nice to have a few more chapters, an epilogue or even a novella from a few years down the road. The ending to the series felt a little abrupt, but I'm happy with the end of this series. I rated the first books in this series 4/5, but Ignite Me received a 5/5 from me and it is my favorite book in the series without a doubt. I loved this series and highly recommend it. I cannot wait to see what Mafi comes out with next.

Series Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment