Saturday, April 13, 2013

Clockwork Princess - Review

by: Cassandra Clare 

Description from Goodreads: Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her. 
Clockwork Princess is the third and final book in the Infernal Devices Series. It is a prequel series to The Mortal Instruments Series also by Cassandra Clare

*Disclaimer - This is free of any major spoilers for Clockwork Princess, 
but I do talk about the first two books in the series so be warned.* 

So far this series has hit all the right spots for me. A character, Tessa, was thrown into a world that you have to learn about with her. Even though I know about the Shadownhunter Universe, this set of Shadownhunters and the London Institute is a whole other ballgame. Victorian England (history student here) is one of my favorite periods of history and I love the description and detail that this story continues to lay out. The same things always happens to me in Cassandra Clare books though. I struggle to get through the first half of the book then read the rest in one sitting. Don't ask me why, because I love her stories regardless of this.  I just get stuck in the middle. That did not happen in this book. Instead of getting stuck I found places I could the book down because I had to put the book down. It was late and I needed sleep and I wanted to enjoy the book rather than plow through it. I found places where I was like, Something big is going to happen soon, but I'll wait until tomorrow to read that because if I don't go to bed right now I'm going to die of exhaustion tomorrow. This book is action packed from start to finish. Moments that you think are going to be quiet get interrupted by important and exciting scenes.

I didn't realize how much I cared about everything in this series until I started reading this book. When you get the book you want to read to find out who Tessa will really end up with. This was the focus at the end of Clockwork Prince and I was completely focused on that when I tore open the package this book came in. In the process of getting to that moment you realize how important everything about the story is. Who is Tessa? Where did she come from? What happened to her parents? Why does Mortmain want her? What does he need from her? Will Jem survive his illness? How will it affect Will and Tessa on their own and how will affect their feelings if Jem dies?  I didn't even realize I needed to ask these questions until Cassandra Clare began throwing me the answers. This worked out great because the book ended up being a great balance between romantic tension and other important plot points. 

Another thing I loved about this series was its characters. Will, Jem and Tessa are central characters to this story and Tessa's story is what most of the action revolve around. Even so all the characters are important and made an impression on me. The Institute was like an army at times and I cared about the Sophie just as much as I cared about Tessa because of how well her character was developed. The characters in this book felt really well fleshed out to me and I cared about what happened to everyone. Tess is just a great heroine period and I love that during this series there are moments when she realizes she has to help herself just as much as the Shadownhunters have been helping her and she grows tremendously in those moments. Throughout the series you can see her grow and change from a frightened girl to a strong young woman. Her strength and courage are amazing and I really felt for her throughout this book and the series as well.

There were couple of things that annoyed me about this series and about this book specifically. There is a lot of love going on. Sometimes I felt like characters were forced together or it was insta-love. At times it felt like characters were introduced and you could tell there was going to be a romance happening between them. It was frustrating in a way especially because there was already so much tension and romance going on between Will, Jem and Tessa. Compared to their relationship that had been developed over three books, I thought some of the new relationships felt a little shallow. It was really only one instance that really bothered me. That happens in YA though so I wasn't overly upset by it. The other thing that really stuck out to me was that Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood had names that were so close! At times it interrupted the flow of the story because I would get confused about who was who and which brother was doing what. In the other books I never noticed it, but they are more involved in the story this time so it was much more confusing.

Overall I really loved this book and I thought it was a great end of the series. I am already hooked on Cassandra Clare's writing and cannot wait to see what she does next. I would definitely recommend the series! I do like this series more than the Mortal Instruments, but that might just be because I love this historical period.

Let me know what you thought of this book!

Clockwork Princess Rating- 5/5

Series Rating -5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment