Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books

 

No matter if it whirlwind romance or a love triangle that just won't die, there is romance involved in so many stories. Some of them are easy to support and others take some work or some more information (I'm looking at you Will Herondale) to win the reader over. Either way there are always things that make a romance work or not for me in books.

Dislikes


1) Love Triangles - In general I don't like love triangles. If they are really well done, I think they can make an interesting addition to the story. However, most of the time I just find them irritating, predictable and one sided. Usually they make me hate some of the main character's behavior. To me there are so many things that could be added to a story rather than choosing which love interest to pine over.

2) An Unrealistic Number of Suitors - When a girl complains about being plain and unnoticed, but has a group of men running after her, I want to throw the book against the wall. For me, this is absolutely one of the most irritating thing that can happen in a story.

3) Instalove -I understand attraction can be very strong on a first meeting or even a first sighting, but undying devotion from the moment people meet just doesn't do it for me.

4) Too Many Endearments- A few 'Darlings', 'Babes' or 'Honeys' won't throw me into a tantrum, but I think there are stories where these terms are overused. They don't really add anything to the story and they just get on my nerves!

5) Communicaion Issues -When couples don't talk to one another about problems/challenges in their story,  it really really irritates me. Use your words!

Likes


1)Fighting - Usually when characters start out hating one another, the romance ends up being even more satisfying to me and usually full of fireworks!

2)Slow Burn -  Romance in books can be full of tension and opportunities, both missed and taken, that make a slow build up SO good. I love that!

3) A Sneaking Suspicon - I love it when I romance between two characters sneaks up on me. When I am preoccupied with other parts of the story, but suddenly there is a moment. A moment where I'm like yes this should happen now and a ship is born.

4) Independent Characters Who Fall in Love- There is nothing more I love more than characters who are distinct and well developed on their own becoming a couple. It is the absolute best!

5) Relationships that are Tested - I think characters and romances are made better by trials. I don't mean getting past serious issues like cheating. Instead, if characters have to go through difficult things together and help each other through those tough times, the romantic moments and good times are even better.


My Last TTT-----> Top Ten Books I Should Shut Up and Read!

4 comments:

  1. I definitely get annoyed by girls who constantly talk about how plain they are and yet have multiple boys vying for their attention. Get over yourself already, and pick one! And quit complaining! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drives me crazy! I don't know why authors even think that's a good idea.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on a lot of these, especially the endearments point - it can definitely be too much when it's used on every page. Also, I agree with your last point about relationships being tested. It just ads something more to a store, and can really make it way more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to find someone who agrees! Sometimes when I mention the endearments in a review it seems so trivial to pick out. It does bug me though.

      Delete