Friday, October 23, 2015

Review - Spark by Brigid Kemmerer



Spark (Elemental, #2)

Series: Elementals #2 
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Published: Kensington (2012) 
Paperback – 345 pgs
Source: Purchased

Rating: 4.5/5

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally. Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can't. Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he's not doing it. And no one seems to believe him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Because Layne has a few secrets of her own...


While I liked the first installment in this series, this second book is even better! During this installment there was a lot of character development and I became more connected with all the characters. Not only do the characters develop, the magic does as well. Throughout the book there are more examples of the boys’ powers and how powerful they are. I can see why the Guides are concerned about their abilities and how things could get out of control (especially when you have an explosive temper like Gabriel’s).

This series is just as much about the romance as it is about the paranormal. This keeps the more balanced with action and adventure even with the swoon-worthy romance bits. Throughout this book the boys’ problems become even more complicated. Gabriel is believed to be an arsonist. While we know he isn’t starting the fires, he needs to convince the rest of the world that he isn’t and that isn’t easy to do.

Gabriel Merrick. This boy really made me blush and I have a feeling Brigid Kemmerer’s books will continue to make me blush as we go along. This Merrick brother is so believable. He is angry and spits fire most of the time, but he is insecure and has good intentions underneath. The brothers’ relationship is fantastically written and I’ve wondered if the author has brothers because the relationship seemed to be so realistic.

I especially enjoyed Michael Merrick’s character reveal in this book because he is less like a cardboard cutout. In Storm he seemed like just an overprotective older brother, but we get so much more of his personality in this book. (Now I cannot wait to get to his book and am also terrified because it is called Sacrifice)

Layne is also a great addition to the gang and she reminds me so much of myself. Honestly I expected her to be completely different, but the Gabriel and Layne are fantastic together. She has her own voice and stands out from Becca. So far Kemmerer has done a great job making the romances distinct from one another and the heroines are distinctly different.

Paranormal romance is one of my favorite genres because it is so fun and I’m really enjoying this series so far. Brigid Kemmerer has added a great element to her books as well by covering tough topics too. She covers bullying, students with disabilities, slut shaming as well many other topics. To me, this makes the series even better and gives it a depth and believability other series don’t have.

So since I’ve gushed so much you may be wondering why I didn’t give this book a five star rating. Personally, I don’t think the Guilds are explained well enough which makes them faux scary. They are lurking around in the background but aren’t a real threat yet, but it seems like they should be considering how much they are mentioned. Also some plot points are just too predictable. I want a few surprises!

Quick Thoughts: This is a fantastic follow up to book one and I will continue to push this series on people. It has taken me completely by surprise and I cannot wait to continue reading. The characters, magic and plot have sucked me in and the romances are VERY blush-worthy. I’ll be updating you on book three soon! 

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment