Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Thoughts on The Martian - Book to Movie Adaptation

In June I declared my favorite book so far this year to be The Martian by Andy Weir. This book really blew my away and I was very excited to learn it was being adapted into a movie. This movie opened this weekend and I happily dragged some of my closest friends to the movie after I failed to get them to read the book. (Though now they promise me they will)

If you haven't read the book, you really should! I have a Review and a Three Reasons to Read for this book if you aren't convinced yet. The trailer for the movie can be found here which might convince you on its own. The movie is rated PG-13.

The Martian 

So what did I think of the movie? 

Good Points?
Lots! The movie really captured my same feelings from the book. I had the same sort of anxiety, worry and hope about Mark's situation throughout the movie. It is easy to root for him and sharing his successes and failures are still an emotional roller coaster. The science is well explained and I appreciated so much was included in the movie. (It is needed, but the explanation part is nicely done without being disruptive) 

Emotionally the movie really moved me. There were tears several times but lots of laughs as well I love it when a theater laughs and ours did several times. Just like in the book we swing between funny and somber which keeps the story moving. There is very little down time and it kept me on the edge of my seat even though I knew most of what was going to happen!

Matt Damon is a great Watney and his acting is fantastic. The rest of the cast put in great performances too and they capture the characters so well. 

Could've Been Better?
My only complaint is I didn't feel as closely connected to Mark as I did in the book. Overall I think they chose the right things to include and cut out, but we lost time with Mark and his journal entries which were my favorite part of the book. 

Final Thoughts? 
This adaptation is definitely worth seeing. The cinematography is effective and clever plus they created a beautiful landscape for Mars. I really enjoyed the movie and think they did a fantastic job bringing the message and feel of the book to the big screen. 

Movie Rating - 4.5/5


A Few Notes - This movie would be great for many ages, but there are several instances of swearing which wouldn't be appropriate for young children. Also there is a scene at the beginning where Mark needs to perform minor surgery on himself. If you are squeamish watch out for this. It was gross, but is over quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment