Friday, June 3, 2016

Review - Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory (Vol. #1-20)



Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2


Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 1

Tony Chu is a detective with a secret. A weird secret. Tony Chu is cibopathic, which means he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. It also means he's a hell of a detective - as long as he doesn't mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit and why. He's been brought on by the Special Crimes Division of the FDA, the most powerful law enforcement agency on the planet, to investigate their strangest, sickest and most bizarre cases. 

Rating: 3/5


When I saw the Chew Volumes on the shelf at the library, I was very excited. I had heard many good things and I was reading a lot of graphic novels so I selected several of these Omnivore Editions to devour at once. (excuse the puns) I went home from the library a happy girl with many comics to keep me occupied.

Like I said, I was excited to start these and the series started out strong. There was a lot of action and a bit of a paranormal vibe to keep me interested. I really liked the kickoff to this comic and flew through Omnivore Vol. 1. It was only in the second volume where things started to drag for me.

Even though I liked the characters, I was frustrated with other aspects of this series. The world became too unwieldy. Every issue went off on another tangent and the story never felt connected to a main plot to me. What was the real question? We weren't just following Tony around for fun. What was the point? Eventually my interest started to wain.

Overall, the story stalled so often to start another plot line that didn't have any connection to what was already happening. Even if it was connected, it was left unresolved. I understand that as the story moves forward loose ends will be tied up. However, as someone who was only semi-invested in the story, I didn't care enough to stick with it.

PHEW- Ok. Yes, I was frustrated. No, it isn't all bad.

The art style is interesting. There are a lot of vibrant colors and it clearly showed all the action. This story can be gory at times and that was one of the things that turned me off. (Maybe for me personally smaller volumes in larger stretches would solve this problem) I liked the bits of extra content that were included like alternate cover choices for the issues. I do recommend these Omnivore Editions! They are a great way to move through the series quickly.

We will see if I go back to this series. Let me know if things get more coherent after Vol. 20.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment