Friday, October 12, 2018

Comic Mashup Review - Captain Marvel & Batman


Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: Rise of Alpha Flight 

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (Victorian Batman, #1-2)

Recently I picked up several graphic novels from my local library and since these reviews are generally shorter, I decided to combine them into a mash up review!


Captain Marvel Vol. 1: Rise of Alpha Flight  
by Michele Fazekas,  Tara Butters, Kris Anka (Illustrator), Felipe Smith (Illustrator)

While I've never read Captain Marvel comics before, I was really excited to check her out. The recent trailer prompted me to download this volume from my library and I really enjoyed it. The art is vibrant and the panels contain a perfect amount of dialogue alongside the action. This is a great jumping off point. We dip into Captain Marvel's origins and cover what her mission is here. Like most people she struggles to make the right leadership decisions while wanting to protect her crew. The space element was a lot of fun! I'm excited to read more of this story and can't wait to see more of Captain Marvel.

Rating: 4/5

Add it // Buy it
 


Gotham by Gaslight
by Brian Augustyn,  Mike Mignola (Illustrator), P. Craig Russell (Illustrator), Eduardo Barreto (Illustrator), Robert Bloch (Introduction)

A friend recommended this when I talked about my love of Gaslight Fantasy. It was a good fit. I tore through this over the course of a couple of days.

Batman faces off against Jack the Ripper in this Victorian-set version of Gotham. It had a bunch of my favorite things. There were bustles on dresses, mustaches on villains, and steampunk inventions. I enjoyed the artwork and how this came full circle. Since it is only two issues, both conflicts resolved quickly, but both were interesting story lines. The setting is what drew me in and it had all the classic Batman elements. Very enjoyable.

Rating: 4/5

Add it // Buy it

No comments:

Post a Comment