Friday, October 6, 2017

Review - Prince's Gambit by C.S Pacat


23398894
Series: Captive Prince #2
Genre: Fantasy M/M Romance
Age Group: Adult 
Paperback: 404 pgs
Published: Berkley (2015)

Rating: 4/5

With their countries on the brink of war, Damen and his new master Prince Laurent must exchange the intrigues of the palace for the sweeping might of the battlefield as they travel to the border to avert a lethal plot.

Forced to hide his identity, Damen finds himself increasingly drawn to the dangerous, charismatic Laurent. But as the fledgling trust between the two men deepens, the truth of secrets from both their pasts is poised to deal them the crowning death blow . . .


I don't know where to start.

After being captivated but also a little taken aback by Captive Prince, I was very interested to see where this book would go. However, the amount of violence in book one shocked me and I wasn't sure this series would be for me. This book resolved my hesitation.

Pacat shifts the battle in book two. Instead of a battle of court politics, there are more actual battles and political strategy in this book. Daemon and Laurent are incredibly smart individually and when they work together it is awesome to watch. While I know the sexual tension was the focus of this book, I was confused by some of the action sequences. The different allies, countries and other groups I was getting mixed up. I think we needed just a little more context or explanation for these.

The tension between Daemon and Laurent in this book is an impossible slow burn that had me ready to tear my hair out. It is as delicious as it is frustrating to read. I really enjoyed how slowly this story turned Laurent's character over and it wouldn't have been believable any other way. Obviously there are still issues with Laurent and he can still be a horrible person and did horrible things, but watching him redeem parts of his character is interesting and I'm interested to see where that part of the story goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment