Monday, October 23, 2017

#AllHallowsWeek - The Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancey


The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)

Series: The Monstrumologist #2
Genre: Horrror
Age Group: Young Adult
Paperback - 444 pgs
Simon and Schuster 2010
Add it // Buy it 

Rating: 3/5 

While attempting to disprove that Homo vampiris, the vampire, could exist, Dr. Warthrop is asked by his former fiancé to rescue her husband from the Wendigo, a creature that starves even as it gorges itself on human flesh, and which has snatched him in the Canadian wilderness. Although Warthrop also considers the Wendigo to be fictitious, he relents and rescues her husband from death and starvation, and then sees the man transform into a Wendigo.


Can the doctor and Will Henry hunt down the ultimate predator, who, like the legendary vampire, is neither living nor dead, whose hunger for human flesh is never satisfied?

What a mixed bag! This book, unlike the first in the series, has me quite on the fence. There were parts that I really liked. For instance, the action and adventure in this installment rivals the first. We actually visit the Canadian wilderness and throughout the trek the story is quite intense. There were moments of genuine fear and anxiety while I was reading this harrowing journey. The same level of gore and violence were used, but there were fewer occurrences. I did like how the doctor was humanized in this book. There were several instances where he broke his Holmes-like persona and showed more character depth. 

However, one of the main draws for me in book one was the monster hunting. We see significantly less hunting and immensely more philosophizing in this second book. While I did enjoy this character introspective it disappointed me after spending the first half of the book in the dangerous wilderness. To me two halves of the book were warring for dominance and in the end they both lost. The wordy writing style and strange wandering tangents didn't keep my attention. 

I'm sad this book took me so long to read, but I will continue on with the series since the preview of book three promised a return of some familiar faces. 


No comments:

Post a Comment