Saturday, October 28, 2017

#AllHallowsWeek Review - Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning


Darkfever (Fever, #1)

Series: Fever #1
Genre: Paranormal 
Age Group: Adult
Source: Library ebook
Ebook - 382 pgs
Delacorte Press (2006) 

3/5

MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman. Or so she thinks…until something extraordinary happens.

When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae….

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault

Looking back at this book I’m not sure how I made it through the first half, but I’m glad I stuck it out.

The first half of Darkfever is slow and Mac makes some dumb decisions. Until the fantasy side of the story introduced, the story just dragged. If you can get through this section the second half of the book is really exciting and things improve a lot in book two. I feel like I say this about every paranormal series I read, but that is a discussion for another day.

Throughout the book Mac from the future breaks the fourth wall to talk to the reader and I was frustrated Future Mac talked so poorly about Current Mac. It sets a tone for the reader that we shouldn't like this version of the character. Several of the characters also comment on how Mac's attire and style is a reflection of how soft and silly she is which was simply overdone. Mac can kick butt in a pink skirt if she wants to! Moning's writing style just isn't my favorite. In between action scenes she repeats herself a lot and described things in a lot of detail.

However, I did enjoy the ending of this. Mac really starts to become an active participant in her own story. At that point I was invested and I loved how she took the reins to start directing her own fate. It just took her a long time! The action really picked up, so the writing was better, and I was intrigued enough to pick up book two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment