Thursday, October 26, 2017

Review - Crimson Peak by Nancy Holder #AllHallowsWeek

Crimson Peak: The Official Movie Novelization
Series: Standalone
Genre: Gothic Romance
Age Group: Adult
Source: Purchased from Audible 
Audiobook - 10 hours
Titan Books - 2015
Add it //Buy it 

Rating: 4/5

When her heart is stolen by a seductive stranger, a young woman is swept away to a house atop a mountain of blood-red clay: a place filled with secrets that will haunt her forever. 

Between desire and darkness, between mystery and madness, lies the truth behind Crimson Peak. From acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro.

When the movie Crimson Peak was released a few years ago, I was very intrigued. However, I am not a horror fan so I skipped the film. Afterward I purchased this audiobook to get a taste of what I missed. Overall, I would classify this story as a romantic historical thriller. It is quite creepy and atmospheric for the fall.

Throughout the book I kept comparing this story to The Fall of the House of Usher. Someone had to have taken inspiration from the decaying house and dying corrupt bloodline of that story. Even though the story is a little predictable, I was still addicted to the audiobook and I listened to it as much as I could. Although I did not listen to it when I was home alone one evening. It was too creepy for that!

The characters are quite interesting and I was surprised by their complexity. At each turn of events characters were conflicted and had a lot of complex motivations for their choices. I was not expecting this since this was a novelization of a movie. This was true for the description and the plot as well. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the complexity of this story. The writing is very descriptive and Holder paints a strong picture even though I had images from the movie in my mind.

Honestly I'm excited to watch the movie at some point now and I think I will be able to handle it. After many hours of creepy audiobook filling my ears, I hope I can handle two hour of creepy film.

No comments:

Post a Comment