Tuesday, October 24, 2017

#AllHallowsWeek Review - Waistcoats and Weaponry by Gail Carriger


Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)

Series: Finishing School Series #3
Genre: Historical Fiction Steampunk Paranormal
Age Group: Young Adult
Paperback - 298pgs
ATOM - 2014

Rating: 4.5/5

Sophronia continues finishing school in style - with a range of deadly defences secreted in the folds of her ball gown, of course. Her fashionable choice of weapons comes in handy when Sophronia, her best friend Dimity, sweet sootie Soap and the charming Lord Felix Mersey hijack a suspiciously empty train to return their chum Sidheag to her werewolf pack in Scotland.

But when Sophronia discovers they are being trailed by a dirigible of Picklemen and flywaymen, she unearths a plot that threatens to throw all of London into chaos. With her friends in mortal danger, Sophronia must sacrifice what she holds most dear - her freedom. 

My main complaint about book two was it felt like a holding pattern and we didn't make a lot of progress in the big picture plot. This book definitely changed that. There are a lot of exciting twists and turns throughout this novel and, as I've mentioned before, I find Carriger's writing style and world builiding delightful.

Carriger continues to focus on the girls working together to outsmart their enemies both near and far. As they get older they are worried about boys and marriage, but the focus on on their ambitions. I really like that part of this story.

The love triangle fails a bit in my opinion. Throughout the books I felt like only one of Sophronia's suitors is a serious contender. The other fell flat to me. I don't know if this was a problem with the writing and plotting or if I personally failed to see the appeal in the other character from the start. 

I highly recommend this series as a fun and fast paced read.


No comments:

Post a Comment