Saturday, January 4, 2014

Frigid - Review




   Frigid (Frigid, #1)
by: J. Lynn 


Genre: New Adult 
Kindle Edition- 252 pgs.
Published - July 2013

For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love. 

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have. 

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.

This is one of the first New Adult books I've ever read and it is the first one by J. Lynn (aka. Jennifer L. Armentrout) I love the Lux Series (Daemon! swoon) and Jennifer's writing is so much fun to read. I only finished this about an hour ago so forgive me if I ramble a little.

First of all Sydney is me and I am Sydney except I don't have a smoking hot stud as a childhood best friend. She is awkward, funny and oh so easy to relate to that I couldn't help but love her. One thing I love about Armentrout's writing is that her characters often talk to themselves when we read from their perspective. When I read from Sydney's (or Katy's) perspective I feel like they are confiding in me. It might seem weird, but it submerses me in the story so well. Whenever I read one of her books I get sucked in, and when I emerge later, its like I'm waking up from a long afternoon nap. I'm groggy and confused because I've gotten lost in the writing.

Now that I've fangirled over the writing....back to Sydney. I loved her so much, but she was slightly annoying. She isn't a very complex character, but she wasn't supposed to be. This is a short, romantic, steamy read. I understood that she was suspicious of Kyler a lot because of his past behavior. However, some of the doubting was a little annoying at times. It didn't deter me from liking the book though. I liked the duel perspectives. It made it much easier to like Kyler because you know what he is thinking which made Sydney's doubting all the more irritating. I should hate Kyler because he is such a player at the beginning of this book, but I just couldn't. Even when he's being a player, he's watching out for Sydney. He is sweet and I could drool over this boy for ages.

I read this book in one sitting in about 4 hours. I loved it. There is romance of course, but there is also some mystery and suspense. It was a fun read and apparently there is a sequel coming according to Goodreads. You know I'll be picking that up when it comes out. It does have a lot sexy times in it though and it definitely a New Adult book.

Rating: 4/5




No comments:

Post a Comment