Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Locke and Key - Series Review

Written by Joe Hill and Illustrated by Gabriel Rodriguez 



Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft  Locke and Key, Vol. 2: Head Games  Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows (Locke & Key, #3)
Locke and Key, Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom      Locke and Key, Vol. 5: Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5)

Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them, and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all!
Acclaimed suspense novelist and New York Times best-selling author Joe Hill (Heart-Shaped Box) creates an all-new story of dark fantasy and wonder, with astounding artwork from Gabriel Rodriguez.

*Genre: Supernatural/Paranormal * Format: Graphic Novel (740pgs) * 
*First Vol. Published - Sep. 2008*


I first heard about these books from The Readables on Youtube. She raved about the books in one of her videos. I found the first five novels that are out at my local library.

First of all, these books is much more violent than I thought it was going to be going in. It isn't a positive or a negative for the books, but I think it is something that others should know before they pick these up. From the very first pages of the book, the plot is very dark.

Even though they are dark, this world and the concept of these books is so interesting. The keys open some extraordinary doors within the house that do so many amazing things for the Locke kids. I don't want to tell you what they are because discovering the powers of the keys is a fun part of the story. In some ways I wish this series was written in novel form because I wanted even more details about the keys. However the beautiful and detailed artwork makes up for my longing for more story.

There is so much going on in this story. Not only is there a story about murder and mayhem in present. There is also an amazing back story for the characters and origin story for the keys themselves. Over the course of the series we learn about how different generations have used the keys. Each book builds more on the mystery of the house, the keys and the villain of this story, Dodge. Dodge is smart and very resourceful which makes him very frightening as a bad guy and difficult to keep down for long. All the characters are interesting and even the best ones make choices that keep you turning the pages and kept my heart pounding as I was reading.

Overall I really liked these books and I'm excited to read the next book which I believe is the final book in the series. I'll also be on the look out for more of Joe Hill's work in the future it they are along these lines.

Rating 4/5 


No comments:

Post a Comment