Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Raven Boys - Review


 by Maggie Stievater

 
 


   The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)


“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.


This book is my favorite book of 2013. The first time I "read" it I actually listened to the audiobook and I fell in love with it. Then I read the ebook soon after and I am dying to buy a physical copy of this book. Basically I loved this book so much I read it twice in one month. This book is amazing and has a really interesting concept that I wasn't expecting.

At first I was unsure about this book because at the beginning there is a lot of information to take in and the narrator of the auidiobook has a really interesting voice that distracted me from the actual book. This book is filled with mythology and interesting characters. The seers in this book always made me laugh and the supernatural element in this book was so unique. After a few chapters, I was totally captivated by this book and I could not put it down.

I loved all the characters in this book because it is one of the most interesting set of characters I have ever read in a book. Maggie Stievater obviously knows her characters and their stories made them even more endearing. They are interesting and so complex. The four boys alone each have their own amazing story that could captivate a reader. As a set they just drew me in and fascinated me. I think Adam is my favorite Raven Boy, but that might be unfair to decide because this is only the first book. Blue, our narrator for a lot of the book, is such an awesome character. She is so unafraid to be herself which is one of the things I love about her. Also all the quirky characters in Blue's family bring humor and an interesting element to the story. I am so excited to see how all these characters will grow and change in this series because I've already seen the seeds of growth and change in them.

The pace of this book was a little slow at the beginning, but it really picked up as the book progresses. After the story is set up and the background information is provided, the story really picks up and moves at a great pace. Maggie Stievater has a way of writing that balances my want for detail and my need for the story to keep moving. For example I loved the description of Blue's house right down to the address, but her description doesn't slow the story down. There were so many unexpected twists as well in this book that kept me flipping the pages as well.

I can talk about the characters and plot and the amazing twists and turns that this book takes. Even so, I won't be able to describe how this book blew me away and how excited I am for the next book. This is my favorite book of the past year and I hope the sequel , The Dream Thieves, is just as good. I can not recommend this book enough.

Rating: 5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment