Saturday, December 12, 2015

My Favorite Sherlock Holmes Stories

Earlier this year I finished my Sherlock Holmes Collection. It took me years but I finally finished the last Sherlock Holmes story in that book. Overall  I really enjoyed the stories and loved reading the book. It was formatted beautifully and I loved carrying it around with me.

When I picked this book up again, it usually took me a few pages to adjust to the writing again. The style is very different than what I'm used to reading. Doyle spends a minimal amount of time on description except when it comes to the crime scenes. The character though are so interesting. I really enjoyed following their adventures.

A Study in Scarlet: 

Synopsis: In the debut of literature's most famous sleuth, a dead man is discovered in a bloodstained room in Brixton. The only clues are a wedding ring, a gold watch, a pocket edition of Boccaccio's Decameron, and a word scrawled in blood on the wall. With this investigation begins the partnership of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Their search for the murderer uncovers a story of love and revenge-and heralds a franchise of detective mysteries starring the formidable Holmes. (From Goodreads)

Why I Loved It: This is where Sherlock and John meet. It is fantastic and so many little things reminded me of the BBC Sherlock series. In this first story Holmes and Watson really hit it off and their fantastic chemistry is born. This one was great!


The Adventure of the Dancing Men

Synopsis: When Hilton Cubitt finds strange messages around his house, he is puzzled. When his wife sees them she is terrified! Cubitt turns to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson for answers. Will the duo be able to crack the case before disaster strikes?

Why I Loved It: This was the only story in the whole collection that made me cry. Not many of the stories are emotional. In fact Doyle's writing is very dry so it is hard to get attached to the characters. This story had the tears in my eyes and rolling down my cheeks.




The Hounds of Baskerville -

Synopsis: Holmes and Watson are faced with their most terrifying case yet. The legend of the devil-beast that haunts the moors around the Baskerville families home warns the descendants of that ancient clan never to venture out in those dark hours when the power of evil is exalted. Now, the most recent Baskerville, Sir Charles, is dead and the footprints of a giant hound have been found near his body. Will the new heir meet the same fate? (From Goodreads) 

Why I Loved It: I found I liked the stories that would have been chalked up to paranormal explanations without Holmes' help. It is also another classic Holmes story I wanted to check off my list.

The Adventure of the Devil's Foot

Synopsis: The story begins with Watson and Holmes relaxing in Cornwall when they are approached by the local Vicar and the man living with him asking for help. The mystery is the brother and sister of the man living with the vicar have had a strange tragedy. He had spent the night with his brothers and sister visiting and playing whist. The next morning he discovers a strange scene. Something clearly has happened just moments after he had left. His sister is still sitting at the table, but is dead, and both of his brothers have seemingly had some type of nervous break down as they are laughing and singing. The explanation everyone else has given is that this is the work of the Devil. (From Goodreads)

Why I Loved It:  This was one of those stories I was wrapped up in it. I really wanted to know what happened to these people and had no idea where the story was headed. It is a strange story but very interesting as well.



Silver Blaze: 

Synopsis: One of the most popular Sherlock Holmes short stories, "Silver Blaze" focuses on the disappearance of the titular race horse (a famous winner) on the eve of an important race and on the apparent murder of its trainer. (From Goodreads)

Why I Loved It: This was the first short story I read and really enjoyed. It captured my attention and I enjoyed the suspense.


While reading I discovered I did not enjoy the Holmes stories based in America as much. They seemed to drag on and on. Most of the other stories were well written. Like I mentioned above, Doyle's writing is dry but fun and witty. There were moments of laughter and very serious stories. I can't wait to read them again.

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment