Friday, April 29, 2016

Review - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Firzgerald


 The Great Gatsby
Genre: Classic/Fiction
Source - Purchased 
Published - 1925
Paperback - 180 pgs 
Add it // Buy it

Rating: 4/5 

THE GREAT GATSBY, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted “gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession,” it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s<


At the end of the day I cannot add much to the huge number of reviews and discussions about this classic work. Much of what I thought about the book has been analyzed many times over and I already know I missed some of the symbolism and messages from in the story. This was my first complete read through since I skimmed most of the story when it was required reading in high school.

However, I want to comment on how I  appreciated the story much more now. This story is full of symbolism and social commentary  which I continue to think about long after I finished the book. I especially found the commentary about wealth and morality interesting. I'm sad I had such a strong aversion to this after being forced to read it in high school because it is actually a really interesting and well written story.

Throughout the story I knew the narrator, Nick, was trying to impress the things he learned from his time with Gatsby on the reader. Then through this Fitzgerald was exhibiting the moral dilemmas of the 1920's. It is quite heavy-handed at times, but difficult to catch all the symbolism at the same time.

Now, rather than finding the characters insufferable, I found this story to be sad but understandable. Instead of struggling to read this book I fell into it. I'm glad I took the time to reread it and I want to reread it and make even more connections in the future.

Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment